If you’re like most photographers spend a lot of time at your desk, It’s important to have a setup that is comfortable and functional.
Whether you’re a professional photographer or just starting out, setting up your workstation correctly is essential to getting the most out of your photography.
In this blog post, we’ll discuss some of the best ways to set up your desk and get productive with your photography.
What You Need To Complete Best Photography Desk Setup?
Why you can trust Desk Setup Guide: Our expert reviewers spend hours testing and comparing products and services so you can choose the best for you. Find out more about how we test.
In order to complete the best photography desk setup with a productive workspace, you’ll need 22 key pieces of equipment. Here’s a list of what you’ll need:
- Computer: With photo editing software.
- External Hard Drive: For storing (TB) HD photos.
- Monitor: Good size, single or dual monitor
- Monitor Mount Arm: Multiple Monitor
- Keyboard & Mouse: Wireless Input device
- Printer: Colored Laser
- Cable Management: Messy, safety hazard
- Ergonomic chair: For long hours sitting
- Scanner: Multipurpose
- Straight, L Shape desk: Big enough to fit all your gear
- Room Lighting: Natural Color
- Wall Color: Color Correction
- Storage Space: Keep Photos, cameras, lenses, album
- Room, Lamp LED Lightning: Accurate brightness
- Studio Mic: Dubbing, Voice-Over
- Speakers: Wire to wireless
- Wall Art/Posters: Art Print
- Decorative Plants
- Elevated Laptop Platform: Better Posture
- Noise-Canceling Headphones
- File Storage System
- Charging Point
- Schedule Calendar
- Pen And Paper
# 1. Computer with photo editing software:
A computer is essential for any photographer, and you’ll need one that is powerful enough to handle editing large RAW files.
If you’re not happy with the performance of your current computer, consider upgrading to something more powerful.
#2. External Hardrives for storage:
In addition to your computer, you’ll need a few hard drives to store your photos and other files. External hard drives are a great option, as they can easily be transported between different computers.
It’s no secret that digital photography requires a lot of storage space. With high resolution images and videos, even a few gigabytes can quickly fill up on your computer’s internal drive. This is why it’s important to have an external hard drive for storage. An external hard drive will give you plenty of room to store all of your photos and videos, and it can also be a great backup solution in case something happens to your computer’s internal drive.
There are a number of different external hard drives on the market, so it can be difficult to decide which one is right for you. Here are a few things to consider when choosing an external hard drive for photography:
1. Size: How much storage space do you need? External hard drives come in a variety of sizes, from a few gigabytes all the way up to several terabytes.
2. Speed: How quickly does the drive need to be able to access data? Some external hard drives are faster than others, so you’ll want to make sure you choose one that is appropriate for your needs.
3. Connection: What type of connection does the external hard drive have? Many drives come with a USB connector, but there are also a number of models that come with Thunderbolt or Firewire connections.
4. Price: How much do you want to spend on an external hard drive? External hard drives can range in price from a few hundred dollars to well over a thousand.
# 3. Monitor:
A high-quality monitor is a must-have for any photographer. It’s important to have a monitor that displays accurate colors and has a wide viewing angle.
When it comes to photography, having a high-quality monitor is essential for getting the most accurate colors and detail from your photos. A good monitor can make all the difference in the world when it comes to photo editing and post-processing.
If you’re serious about your photography, then you’ll want to invest in a good quality monitor. There are many different monitors on the market, and it can be difficult to decide which one is right for you.
Here are a few things to keep in mind when choosing a monitor for photography:
1. Screen size: The larger the screen, the better. A large screen will give you more room to work on your photos, and will make it easier to see all the details.
2. Resolution: The higher the resolution, the better. A high-resolution monitor will give you crisper and more accurate images.
3. Color accuracy: Make sure the monitor has good color accuracy so you can accurately judge the colors in your photos.
4. Contrast ratio: A high contrast ratio is important for seeing details in your photos.
5. Price: Monitors can range in price from a few hundred dollars to several thousand dollars, so be sure to choose one that fits your budget.
# 4. Monitor Mount Arm:
if you are planning to use dual to three monitors at one time. A monitor arm can help to improve your productivity by allowing you to easily adjust the position of your monitor.
A monitor mount arm is a great tool to have in your photography arsenal, as it can help you to improve your productivity and workflow. By mounting your monitor to an arm, you can free up valuable desk space, which can be helpful when working with large or multiple monitors. Additionally, a monitor arm can help you to adjust the height and angle of your monitor to find the perfect viewing position
Here are a few things to keep in mind when choosing a monitor arm for photography:
1. Choose an arm that is sturdy and well-built. The last thing you want is an arm that wobbles or shakes while you’re working.
2. Make sure the arm has a wide range of adjustability so that you can find the perfect viewing position for your monitor.
3. Choose an arm with a good weight capacity so that it can hold your monitor and any other accessories you may need.
# 5. Keyboard and mouse:
A keyboard and mouse are essential tools for photographers. They allow you to quickly interact with your computer and make adjustments to your photos. A good keyboard and mouse can help speed up your workflow and make it easier to edit your photos. Some of the factors you should consider when choosing a keyboard include the type of switches, the layout, and the features.
1. Type of switches: The type of switch is important to consider when choosing a keyboard. Mechanical switches are the most popular type of switch and offer a tactile feedback that can help you type faster. They are also more durable than other types of switches.
2. Layout: The layout of the keyboard is also important to consider. Some keyboards have a split design that allows you to place your hands in a more natural position. This can help you type faster and reduce the amount of strain on your hands.
3. Features: Some keyboards have extra features that can be helpful for photographers. For example, some keyboards have a built-in trackpad that can be used to control the cursor. This can be helpful if you don’t have a mouse connected to your computer.
# 6. Printer:
A printer is a necessary piece of equipment for any photographer who wants to print their photos.
When it comes to photography, there are a few key pieces of hardware that you’ll need in order to print your photos. Obviously, you’ll need a printer, and we recommend choosing a model that is photo-specific or at least has good photo quality.
In addition, you’ll need software that can handle printing tasks, such as Adobe Photoshop or Lightroom. Finally, you’ll need to make sure that your printer is connected to your computer and that the correct drivers are installed.
Once you have all of this set up, it’s time to start printing! We recommend starting with small test prints to get a feel for how your printer handles different types of photos. From there, you can start printing your larger projects.
1. Choose a printer that is photo-specific or has good photo quality.
2. Make sure that your printer is connected to your computer and that the correct drivers are installed.
3. Start with small test prints to get a feel for how your printer handles different types of photos.
4, Print your larger projects once you have a good understanding of how your printer works.
#7. Cable Management:
Cable organisers can be extremely helpful for photographers, especially if you have a lot of cords and cables. A cable organiser will help to keep your desk clean and organized, which can be helpful for productivity.
Additionally, cable organisers can also help to protect your cables from becoming damaged or tangled. If you’re looking for a way to keep your cables organized and protected, a cable organiser is a great option.
A messy desk is not only unsightly, but it can also be a safety hazard. Make sure to use cable management tools to keep your cables organized and out of the way.
1. Choose a cable organiser that is the right size for your needs. There are many different sizes and shapes of cable organisers, so be sure to choose one that will fit all of your cords and cables.
2. Choose a cable organiser that is made from durable materials. You want a cable organiser that will last, so be sure to choose one made from high-quality materials.
3. Choose a cable organiser with a lot of compartments. This will help to keep your cords and cables organized and tidy.
4. Choose a cable organiser that is easy to use. You don’t want a cable organiser that is difficult to use or takes a lot of time to set up.
# 8. Ergonomic Chair:
An ergonomic office chair is important for photographers because they typically spend a lot of time sitting at their desk. An ergonomic chair can help to improve posture and prevent back pain, which can be a common problem for photographers.
There are a number of different types of ergonomic chairs available, so it’s important to find one that is comfortable for you.
Some of the features to look for when choosing an ergonomic chair like mfavour include adjustable height and lumbar support.
1. Choose a chair that is adjustable. This will allow you to customize the chair to fit your needs.
2. Look for a chair with lumbar support. This will help to improve your posture and reduce back pain.
3. Make sure the chair is comfortable for you. You’ll likely be spending a lot of time in it, so it’s important to choose a chair that is comfortable and supportive.
4. Get fitted for your chair. Many furniture stores offer free fittings for ergonomic office chairs. If you’re not sure what type of chair is right for you, this is a great option to explore.
5. Consider your budget. Ergonomic chairs can be expensive, but there are a number of affordable options available.
#9. A good dpi Scanner:
One of the most important tools in photography is a good scanner. A high-quality scanner can help you digitize your prints and negatives, making it easy to store and organize your photos. Additionally, a good scanner can also be used for photo editing and restoration projects. If you’re looking for a good scanner for photography, be sure to look for one that has a high dpi (dots per inch), which will give you the best image quality.
Another essential tool for photographers is a good graphics tablet. A graphics tablet can be used for many things, including photo editing, texture creation, and more. If you’re looking to purchase a graphics tablet, be sure to get one with a large working surface and plenty of pressure sensitivity levels.
Choose a scanner with a high dpi, which will give you the best image quality.
1. Make sure the scanner has a large scanning surface so that you can scan large prints and negatives.
2. Look for a scanner with plenty of pressure sensitivity levels to give you more control over your scans.
3. Consider the price and features of each scanner before making a purchase.
# 10. Straight, L Shape desk:
When setting up your desk, it’s important to choose the right type of desk. A desk is a great place to organize your tools and materials for photography. It can also be a comfortable place to work from, especially if you set it up correctly.
Some photgraphers require a good-sized desk for photography. This is because you’ll need plenty of room to store all of your equipment and tools. Additionally, having a large desk will allow you to work comfortably and have plenty of space to spread out your materials.
A straight desk is a good option for photographers who need plenty of room to work. If you don’t have a lot of space in your studio, consider getting a small size L-shaped corner desk which will save some space.
1. Choose the right size: The desk should be big enough to accommodate all of your equipment and materials.
2. Consider the height: Make sure the desk is the right height for you so that you can work comfortably.
3. Choose a sturdy desk: A heavy-duty desk will be more durable and less likely to wobble when you’re working.
4. Choose a desk with plenty of storage: A desk with built-in storage can help you keep your workstation organized and tidy.
#11. Adequate Room Lighting:
One of the most important aspects of setting up your workstation is making sure you have adequate lighting. While natural light is great, it’s not always possible to work with depending on the time of day or weather conditions. In these cases, having a good artificial light source is essential.
There are a number of different light fixtures you can use to light your workstation, but we recommend using a softbox or an octabox. These types of lights produce a softer, more diffused light that is ideal for photography. They also help to reduce eye fatigue, which is important if you’re going to be spending long hours at your desk.
1. Make sure the light is bright enough to evenly light your work area.
2. Choose a light that has a high color temperature to reduce eye fatigue.
3. If you’re working with models or clients, make sure the light is dimmable so you can adjust the brightness as needed.
#12. Wall color:
The wall color in a photography studio can play a big role in the overall look and feel of the photos that are taken in the space. Many photographers prefer to have a white or light-colored wall to help create a bright and airy look in their photos, while others may prefer to have a darker or more textured wall to add some visual interest.
No matter what color you choose, be sure to consider how it will affect the photos that are taken in your studio. If you’re not sure which color to choose, you can always test out different colors by painting a small section of the wall and seeing how it looks in your photos.
1. Choose a color that creates a bright and airy look.
2. Consider the type of photos you plan to take in your studio.
3. Avoid choosing a color that will clash with your subjects or distract from the main subject of the photo.
4. Make sure the color is consistent with the overall style and feel of your photography studio.
5. Test out different colors by painting a small section of the wall to see how it looks in your photos.
#13. Storage Cabinet/Closet:
photographers tend to accumulate a lot of equipment, so it’s important to have plenty of storage space for all your gear. A desk with built-in storage is ideal, but if you don’t have one, you can use shelves or cabinets to create extra storage space.
They provide a place to store your equipment, tools, and other supplies. Without storage cabinets, your desk would be cluttered and unorganized, making it difficult to work efficiently.
1. The size of your desk: Make sure to choose a storage cabinet that is the appropriate size for your desk. It should be big enough to fit comfortably on your desk without taking up too much space.
2. The amount of storage space you need: Some storage cabinets have more or less storage space than others. Choose one that has enough room to store all of your equipment and supplies.
3. The type of equipment you need to store: Not all storage cabinets are created equal. Some are designed specifically for storing photography equipment, while others can be used to store a variety of items. Choose a cabinet that is best suited for your needs.
#14. Desk Lamp Lighting:
Good lighting is essential for any photographer, and it’s especially important when you’re working at a desk. Make sure your desk is situated in a place where it gets plenty of natural light, or if that’s not possible, consider using a desk lamp to provide additional light.
1. The type of light bulb it uses (traditional incandescent, CFL, LED)
2. The brightness of the light
3. The size and shape of the lamp head
4. How adjustable the lamp is
5. The power source (AC or DC)
6. The cost
#15. Studio Mic:
When it comes to voice-over (dubbing) video editing photography, there are a few pieces of equipment that are essential for getting great actions.
One such piece of equipment is a studio microphone.
If you do a lot of audio editing or voiceovers, a studio mic is a must-have for your photography desk setup. A quality studio mic will provide better sound quality than a standard computer mic.
Studio microphones are necessary for capturing clear, high-quality audio in photography. They’re ideal for recording interviews, voiceovers, and other types of audio recordings.
1. Type of microphone: There are a few different types of studio microphones available on the market, including condenser, ribbon, and dynamic microphones. Each type of microphone has its own unique benefits and drawbacks. Condenser microphones are typically the most sensitive and produce the highest-quality audio recordings. Ribbon microphones are known for their warm, rich sound, while dynamic microphones are more durable and can handle higher levels of sound pressure.
2. Connectivity: Studio microphones typically come with a range of connection options, including XLR, USB, and digital connectors. Make sure to choose a microphone that has the type of connector you need to connect it to your recording device.
3. Frequency response: The frequency response of a studio microphone refers to the range of frequencies that the microphone is able to capture. Make sure to choose a microphone that has a wide frequency response so that it can capture all the nuances of your audio recordings.
4. Polar pattern: The polar pattern of a studio microphone determines the directionality of the microphone. A microphone with a cardioid polar pattern is most sensitive to sounds that are coming from the front of the mic, while a microphone with a bidirectional polar pattern is sensitive to sounds from both the front and back of the mic.
5. Price: Studio microphones can range in price from a few hundred dollars to several thousand dollars. Choose a microphone that fits your budget and meets your needs.
A good set of speakers can be a great addition to your photography desk setup. They can come in handy for listening to music while you work, or for watching tutorials or training videos.
There are a few reasons why you might want to use speakers in your photography setup. First, if you’re shooting video, having good audio is essential for creating a high quality final product. Speakers can also help you to evaluate the sound of your videos and make sure they’re balanced correctly. Finally, if you’re using a laptop to edit your video, having good speakers can help you to better see the results of your changes.
1. Size: Make sure the speakers are small enough to fit comfortably on your desk.
2. Power: Choose a speaker that has adequate power to produce good sound quality.
3. Connectivity: Make sure the speaker has the appropriate connections for your setup.
4. Extras: Some speakers come with additional features, such as Bluetooth connectivity or USB ports, which can be helpful.
#17. Wall Art/Posters:
A piece of wall art can add personality to your photography desk setup and help you to feel more inspired when you’re working. If you don’t have any art prints or posters, consider buying a few and hanging them up on the walls around your desk.
It should be of accurate size and attractive, and your previous work records reflect your experience.
#18. Decorative Plants:
Adding a few decorative plants to your photography desk setup can help to make it feel more welcoming and inspiring. Plants can also help to improve ambiance, which is important if you spend a lot of time indoors.
In addition, plants can also provide a bit of decoration and visual interest in your workspace. If you’re looking for a way to add a bit of life to your photography desk, consider adding some decorative plants. There are a variety of plants that are ideal for photography workstations, including succulents, flowers, cacti, and air plants.
1. Choose plants that are low maintenance. Decorative plants can be a great way to add some life to your workstation, but you don’t want to have to spend a lot of time taking care of them. Choose plants that are low maintenance and don’t require a lot of attention.
2. Consider the size of the plant. You want to choose a plant that is the appropriate size for your desk. You don’t want a plant that is too large or too small for your space.
3. Choose plants that are appropriate for your climate. If you live in a cold climate, you’ll want to choose plants that can tolerate cold weather. If you live in a hot climate, you’ll want to choose plants that can tolerate high temperatures.
4. Choose plants that are compatible with your photography style. If you’re a nature photographer, you’ll want to choose plants that are compatible with your style. If you’re a portrait photographer, you may not want to choose plants that are too distracting.
#19. Elevated Platform for Laptop:
If you’re using a laptop to edit your photos, it’s important to have an elevated platform so that you’re not looking down at the screen.
Working on a laptop/computer for long hours can be tiring for the neck and eyes. An elevated platform for laptop can help in avoiding these problems. It can also help you work with better posture. An elevated platform can be used to raise the height of your laptop by a few inches. This will help in keeping your neck and eyes in a neutral position while you work. It can also help reduce the stress on your wrists.
1. The platform should be big enough to hold your laptop and accessories.
2. It should be made of a durable material that can support your laptop’s weight.
3. The platform should have a non-slip surface to keep your laptop in place.
4. It should be lightweight and easy to transport.
#20. Noise-Canceling Headphones:
Noise-canceling headphones are a great investment for photographers, as they can help to improve your productivity and workflow. By blocking out background noise, you can stay focused on your work and avoid distractions. Additionally, noise-canceling headphones can also help to improve your editing process by allowing you to more clearly hear the details in your video sounds.
– Make sure the headphones are comfortable to wear for extended periods of time.
– Look for headphones that have a good noise-cancellation rating, as this will help to block out more noise.
– Choose a pair of headphones that have a good sound quality, so you can still hear the details in your videos.
#21. file storage system:
In photography, you often have large files that need to be stored and organized. A good file storage system can help you keep your images sorted and easy to find when you need them. There are a few different types of file storage systems that can work well for photographers.
- Plenty of space to store according to date and time.
- Good set of organise photos in the right order.
# 22. Charging point:
If you’re like most photographers, you probably have a lot of batteries and chargers lying around. A charging station can help to keep your desk organized and tidy, while also keeping your batteries charged and ready to go.
There are a number of different charging stations on the market, so be sure to choose one that fits your needs.
# 23. Schedule Calendar:
A schedule calender is a great way to keep track of your deadlines and appointments. It can also help to motivate you to work on your photography projects.
# 24. Pen and Paper:
Photographers often need to take notes, so it’s helpful to have a pen and paper handy. This will allow you to take notes during meetings or while editing photos.
5+ Best Photography Desk Setup Ideas
1.) Home office three monitors photography studio desk setup
When choosing accessories for your photography desk, it’s important to think about the climate where you live and the type of photography you do.
A good desk setup can help improve your productivity and workflow as a photographer. By choosing the right equipment and accessories, you can create a workspace that is tailored to your needs.